Sunday, July 12, 2009

Art is Healing


I am a very driven person. I think on the Myer's Briggs I once scored in the Driver, Driver range - Type AAA personality. I have done a lot since that time to become more balanced, and I have, but when you start from where I did, you have a long way to go. I struggle constantly for peace in my life. I really have to work for it. Recently I have had a lot of art shows, and lots of opportunities to promote my art. This also creates a need for me to make more art. Need to fill all the requirements for all the shows. A lot of pressure.

To maintain my peace of mind at this stressful time, I meditate every morning, and do yoga several times during the week. This all helps a lot towards keeping me peaceful. Nothing is a complete solution, but everything helps. And so does my drawing and painting.

I draw and paint everyday. I have been drawing everyday since the New Year began, and painting everyday for the last two weeks. When I draw or paint, I get "in the zone" like athletes, and it is a wonderful feeling. Time seems to be suspended, nothing bothers me, I focus on the drawing or painting, and when it is done, I feel refreshed and relaxed, no matter what the outcome of the effort was. Lately though, after the drawing or painting session, the zone seems to stay around. It is like I am meditating while walking around, or like I am still drawing or painting, when in fact, I am going about my daily business.

I think the real reward of being an artist is starting to materialize. Beside the zone continuing after I finish doing the art, I am finding that I search for more and more excuses to do more art each day. I don't feel I am avoiding doing my daily chores, but rather moving towards something that is enhancing my life and increasing in frequency. The great side effect of this is that I am really satisfied with my ever increasing art skills. I am reaching my goals quicker as well. The improved skills don't seem as important as they did before though. What seems the most important now is this sense of peace, this being in the zone from art extending beyond itself into my daily life. I always wanted the artist lifestyle, but I did not realize it would expand way beyond my concept of art and make my life so serene. What a great calling!

No comments:

Post a Comment