Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Art and Art Shows


I went to a large art show last Saturday. There was 124 artists, and thousands and thousands of visitors. It was quite well attended. I stayed the whole time, and walked the many blocks from one end to the other of the show. There were all types of artists, and all levels of skills.

I was struck by one observation I made -- of all the artists and visitors there, I only saw about three pieces of art sold. There probably were other sales as well, but I would be willing to bet there were not many sales made.

Given the economic climate I am sure that art sales are down just like sales in lot of other areas.

This made me think. In all the years I have been in art, I have been in many shows -- juried shows, outdoor fairs, small shows, big shows, and public art displays. I have donated art to charity auctions and one thing that seems to be consistent among all the shows, is that a good show may sell about 11% of the art represented, and that is not much.

Yet, at most art shows, there are lots of people looking at the art, talking to the artists, talking to each other about the art, and in general there is a festive atmosphere.

At first I was upset for the artists. Some were my friends, and I know some made a big effort. One even hired an model for the show, and was doing a painting demonstration of her. It seemed so unfair that they were putting out so much effort, and the visitors just came to look and enjoy, but certainly the vast majority had no intention of buying.

Reflecting upon this situation further, I started to reconsider my thinking. Yes, people come to enjoy themselves, and yes, most did not come to buy, but they did come to see the art. The visitors appreciate art. Perhaps for some visitors, they could not afford art, and this is one of the ways they can enjoy art, even if they can't own it.

Like public art, these shows bring art to the public as well. I think these shows are really more than just opportunities to sell art. These shows are a way to give lots of people a way to enjoy art, to see art, to promote art in the community, and for the artist, a chance to become known, and to get positive feedback that we all crave and need.

I guess what I am trying to say is that these shows, and public art displays, are important events in an artistic lifestyle. It is a chance to share our creativity, our vision, and bring our work to those who really appreciate art. It may be hard to earn a living at art, but it can still be very rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment