Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Getting Back Again


Sorry I have been away for a while, but I was sick with the flu, and that puts an end to all my plans and ideas. I have been busy, though, and managed to draw everyday, even if I did not get to paint as often as I would have liked. It was tough drawing with the flu, and some times I only got 15 minutes in, but my goal for this year is to draw everyday. Drawing is a very difficult skill to master, and it takes constant practice as well to maintain the current skill set.

I am painting on a watercolor (the third in a series) about BC Ferries. I have also set myself a goal to complete at least six in the series, and get a show for the series early next year at a local gallery. I really love the water, and the ferries here, and feel people take them for granted. My series is contemporary, and are my impressions about being on the ferries. I am planning a number of ferry trips this year to round out my reference materials, and because it can be a fun day trip or short vacation.

I am also struggling with my exhibit life. I just closed down one show, and hung another, and find I am getting behind in finished works. I sold one painting at the last show, and several shows coming up in the next couple of months, but find myself drawn to sketching alot, and lose works of art. I am trying to become loser in my technique, as well as in my life. It is like relearning how to live, and how to do art. It is a step backward for a while, but I believe it is worth the learning curve because it will improve my enjoyment of art, of life, and create more fun.

When I was sick with the flu, I found that I had a big depression (I always get depressed when I am sick). While depressed, I got thinking, what am I living for. I was pretty miserable, and despondent for the moment. I am just so glad I have my art. It was what kept me going, and I never once wavered in my desire to create it.

I get compliments from many people about how eclectic my art is, and how astonished they are that I am able to create in such a variety of ways. To me I always feel bad when I hear this, because I have always been told to specialize, develop a recognizable focus, that is what galleries and collectors want. I feel I have a focus, people, but somehow it seems too broad. I will continue with working the way I do, though, because I think it is important for an artist to create what moves him, not to be too straight-jacketed. I know as an artist I need discipline, and I am working on developing it so I produce art even when I don't feel like it, even when I am very sick, even when it is inconvenient.

I struggle with managing day to day life, putting my art first, and not getting to discouraged at how slow my career as an artist seems to be growing. I struggle with the business end, the creative part, and my lack of artist business skills. I must stay focused on the progress that I have achieved in the last year (really a big step forward) and not the pace which is slower than I like.

I am adding another image to this blog. This is the still life I did. I know my focus is on people, but I did the still life as a counter point, to stay fresh, to not get bored and tired of doing people. I try to include people in all that I do, but this one is missing people! Maybe I am as eclectic as people say I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment